Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Love Affair With Bread

“Oh, God above, if heaven has a taste it must be an egg with butter and salt, and after the egg is there anything in the world lovlier than fresh warm bread and a mug of sweet golden tea?”Frank McCourt, ‘Angela's Ashes’ (1996)


 
I love bread…..the smell of warm yeast rolls wafting through the cafeteria at school and down the hallway towards my room….I think I can gain weight just from the smell of baking bread.  Bread is a MAJOR weakness of mine.  I can remember while I was growing up my mom would make home-made wheat bread.  I couldn’t wait for it to come out of the oven so I could spread some peanut butter and jelly on it while it was warm….a nice thick slice, too.  I can’t blame my eating habits on anything other than the fact that I have a love affair with food…..I love to eat really, really good food! 
Bread has been on my mind a lot this week because when the ladies at Weight Watchers told me to change up my eating this week I decided to split from bread. I made the decision because I have gone gluten-free in the past and I did drop some weight.  I have not had any bread or rice in 5 days.  The only carbs I am taking in are coming from fruits and vegetables. Wait….I did have oatmeal twice but this week I had less of it and mixed a tablespoon of low fat peanut butter into the oatmeal.   I also upped my protein intake slightly.  The first couple of days weren’t too bad but it’s getting rough.  I’ve been trying to make up for it with more vegetables with meals.  I am NOT good at getting vegetables in.  I even ate out twice this week and the only sides I had were broccoli.
Has it worked?  Yep…..since Sunday I have dropped a solid 3.5 pounds.  Nice jump start!  Problem is….on Saturday I have friends coming over to eat and have a few drinks.  I may be in trouble so I better be extra good until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment